Design Engineer (Remote)
Main areas of focus: HTML development, email development, A/B testing, web accessibility, product design
Location: Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. or have an existing U.S. work permit.
As a Design Engineer at charity: water, you’ll be responsible for maintaining, scaling, and innovating within the charity: water user interface for marketing and growth initiatives. You’ll own a thoughtful, portable email design system from collaborating with our designers to writing bulletproof HTML and CSS, and you’ll partner with our existing Design Engineer to level up our web presence across the board. This role reports to the Product Design Lead and brings a perspective of development sensibility and frontend engineering chops to the broader cross-functional design team, which includes product and brand designers.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR…
- Building dynamic and transactional campaign emails within our digital marketing platform
- Working closely with Marketing to conceive and execute A/B tests and landing pages
- Collaborating with the rest of the Product Design team to evolve patterns and advocate for usability and accessibility within our UI systems
- Updating and maintaining charitywater.org through our content management system
YOU MUST HAVE…
- Experience with coding and QAing email campaigns
- Experience implementing A/B tests using Optimize, Optimizely, or similar platform
- A preference for atomic design and an expertise in working within a design system
- A well-versed grasp and application of current UI design software, such as Figma, Sketch, Adobe
IT’S AN ADDED PLUS IF YOU HAVE…
- Experience in a tech start-up environment
- Experience working on high-traffic websites
- Experience working in an agile workflow
YOU’LL BE SUCCESSFUL IF...
You sweat the small stuff
You’re a perfectionist who is only satisfied when every pixel is right for every use case across every device.
You’re a systems-thinker
You can architect solutions with reusability and scalability in mind without compromising efficiency or design.
You’re tenacious in your problem-solving, creative in your solutions, and can be scrappy in your implementation.
You enjoy pushing the boundaries of UI design, advocating for smart and innovative solutions, and contributing new ideas to keep design cutting edge.
You’re curious and collaborative
You learn from and contribute to your team through means of design and code reviews, creative and technical team discussions, and pairing.
You see something that can be improved, and you don't wait for permission to fix it. You have a
strong desire to make charitywater.org a world-class fundraising experience.
The Consumer team is a sophisticated group of product managers, designers, storytellers, engineers, and marketers that power our unique monthly giving platform, The Spring. They focus on developing a first-in-class experience for our Spring monthly donors while building a product that invites transparency, generosity, and community.
At charity: water, we believe that water changes everything. We work with local implementing partners to fund sustainable solutions that provide clean and safe drinking water in developing countries. Since 2006, with a diverse team of world-changers and an unstoppable community of supporters, we’ve brought clean water to more than 12 million people worldwide. With the makings of a mid-size tech startup, we’re reinventing charity through endless innovation, contagious passion, beautifully crafted stories, and a powerful brand that inspires a new kind of generosity.
At charity: water, we value every background, identity, and experience. We believe that a diverse team, informed by different cultures and perspectives, makes us stronger. We are committed to doing the work and challenging each other to be an organization in which everyone is respected and heard. We commit to providing genuine opportunities for all people to thrive. And we will continue to embed diversity, inclusion, belonging, and equality in everything we do.